Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:45 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CMM2 G2 V2 design files

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:45am 04 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The CMM2 G2 V2 is designed to be much cheaper to manufacture than all previous designs. JLC can build it ready-to-run for about £133 for 5 boards (+, of course, shipping and any local taxes). It is functionally identical to the previous versions with the exception that it does not support the Hobbytronic USB mouse I/F chip. PS2 mice are still widely available and plug directly into the bottom USB socket (USB keyboard in the top). As before the Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse is highly recommended and both the V1.1A and V2.0 versions work well the the CMM2.

I have 3 boxed CMM2 G2 available for sale (2 off G2 V2 and 1 off G1 V1.5) as I'm rather "over-stocked" for my development needs. Contact me by PM if interested

Gerbers

CMM2G2V2.0.zip

Bill of materials and placement files

CMM2G2V2.0BOM.zip

Design files for box ends: Cambam, dxf, Sketchup, stl

CMM2G2V2ends.zip

EasyEDA design files

CMM2G2V2.zip

Schematic

CMM2G2V2Schematic.pdf

Currently all parts are in stock at JLC

Edited 2024-04-04 21:52 by matherp

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:30pm 04 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Excellent, thanks Peter!  

Footnote added 2024-04-05 17:19 by Grogster
I will be listing these for sale on my website.  As they will be much cheaper then the boards that I had to manually complete, it might really help the CMM2 become the machine it was always destined to be.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:00pm 05 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All my surplus CMM2 G2 now sold.

joker

Posted: 06:04pm 06 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thumbs up also from me  
This is outstanding.
Thank you very much

Matthias

homa

Posted: 11:48am 13 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I received my CMM2 yesterday.
Finally I am a CMM2 owner :-)  Thanks a lot Peter.

Matthias

PilotPirx

Posted: 08:59am 17 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My CMM2G2V2 board has also arrived and is working perfectly. The Microsoft mouse also works perfectly. The picture is razor sharp. The system only hangs (frozen, have to reset) from time to time with subdirectories of my SD-card (which works in the old G1). I still have to test it with other SD cards.

I have only noticed that the I/O pin assignment corresponds to the CMM G1 again. The 180 degree rotation of the G2 is no longer necessary.
But the PIN-numbers are switched. Pin1 is now Pin 40 in schematic. How to set the Pin now? With the old system?
Edited 2024-04-17 19:39 by PilotPirx

joker

Posted: 04:12pm 18 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello,
I just got my oder from JLCPCB.
I programmed it with the latest firmware V5.07.02b11.

All five boards are working. The packageing from JLCPCB was a bit cheaper than for my first order last year, but the boards are ship shape and bristol fashion. Nothing to complain here.

The first startup of the board was sometimes quite rough. Multiple resets were necessary.
Mostly the keyboard was not detected in the first run. Hopefully this behaviour will go away with batteries installed.

I also tried a PS2 mouse. In my first board I used the USB mouse chip but never get it working, so I was really exited to see the mouse working. And it did. Unfortunately, the interface is not very stable. After some clicks in the file explorer I got garbage on the screen and the machine finally froze. I will check this with another board later again.

There is onne thing, that is suboptimal. The on/off switch is difficult to operate without an extra tool if an USB-c cable is connected.

In general, I'm pretty happy with my purchase.  

Best Regards
 Matthias

eparmstrong

Posted: 07:57pm 18 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

First I'd like to thank Peter for making this and the PicoMiteVGA designs available.

I've only managed to get 3 of the 5 boards from JLCPCB that I ordered working.   Same sort of issue as joker.  I'm able to program them all fine, but it seems very difficult to get them to boot the first time.  Nothing will show on either the serial or VGA, and then suddenly it will start working, and once configured the first time, they continue to work fine.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to get the initial configuration screen to show up reliably.

homa

Posted: 08:49pm 18 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PilotPirx said  
I have only noticed that the I/O pin assignment corresponds to the CMM G1 again. The 180 degree rotation of the G2 is no longer necessary.
But the PIN-numbers are switched. Pin1 is now Pin 40 in schematic. How to set the Pin now? With the old system?

Did you recognise this in the manual?

Matthias

homa

Posted: 09:14pm 18 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Matthias

joker said  
There is onne thing, that is suboptimal. The on/off switch is difficult to operate without an extra tool if an USB-c cable is connected.

Shouldn't a keycap like this help?

https://images.app.goo.gl/omCwqYFTLvCYfKBK6

Do you need all 5 boards or would you part with one? Just send me a PM. Gladly also in German.

Matthias

PilotPirx

Posted: 07:41am 19 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The pin assignment is not as printed on the board. If you look on the back, pin 40 is upper right (where the arrow is)and pin 1 is down left. I measured this with a voltmeter- its like first Gen CMM2. But the print on the board is vice versa.

And Pin40 in the schematic was previously Pin 1.
Here the new pinning

and here the old one:
same functions, but pin numbers switched

Edited 2024-04-19 18:02 by PilotPirx

homa

Posted: 08:47am 20 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PilotPirx said  The pin assignment is not as printed on the board. If you look on the back, pin 40 is upper right (where the arrow is)and pin 1 is down left. I measured this with a voltmeter- its like first Gen CMM2. But the print on the board is vice versa.

@peter: Can you clarify this?
I am now totally confused.

Since I have the CMM2 Gen2 as V1.5, a new change would bother me now :-(
I'm also thinking about getting one of the new boards from Matthias (@matthias: I'll get back to you after I hear back here).

Matthias

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:29am 20 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry about the confusion. The boards made from the gerbers published on this thread should have the same pinout as the 1.5 G2
The two G2V2 development boards sold to PilotPirx and stoke_ferry had the G1 pinout as a result of me copying the wrong layout. I had forgotten I made this change between the prototype G2V2 and the final version as above and should have communicated this to the two recipients

homa

Posted: 09:52am 20 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thank you for the clarification.  

stoke_ferry

Posted: 10:28am 20 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Peter, and noted. Apart from checking it works I haven't used the CMMG2V2 yet.

Stuart

homa

Posted: 11:59am 20 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter,

Another question about the CMM2 enclosures.
Where can you buy them in Europe? I only found one source in Australia. But shipping is too expensive for me.
Do you have 3D print files for them?

Kind regards
Matthias

matherp
Guru

Posted: 12:57pm 20 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Its a very standard box G738. Try de.farnell.com part 1526699 or 1094711

PilotPirx

Posted: 08:25am 22 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Peter,
thanks for the new information. Now it makes sense to me.

At the moment, i have the problem that the system hangs (frozen, have to reset) from time to time in subdirectories of my SD-card (which works in the old G1). Changing the cards does not change the behaviour. A Power On Reset helps sometimes. Whats the reasion for this?

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024