Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:07 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Silicon Chip March 2024 editorial....

Page 2 of 2    
Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 06:59am 25 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you need ultimate reliability for a "boot to BASIC" computer then I'd respectfully suggest that a device designed as a small embedded control chip isn't the best option available. It isn't a "computer", it just gives the appearance of being one. The same even applies to the CMM2, which just has a more powerful controller chip.

By the time you finish messing about it'll almost certainly be far easier, cheaper and more reliable to simply use a RPi with a USB HDD or two plugged into it.
Mick

Zilog Inside! nascom.info for Nascom & Gemini
Preliminary MMBasic docs & my PCB designs

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 07:35am 25 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

from the perspective of the micromite as an embedded controller - and i do suspect most end up in this sort of application - i would be far more concerned about the mmbasic firmware becoming corrupted by flash failure.

what happens to all the neat little devices we build using micromites in 10 or 20 years time? i (today) have electronic devices that are 30 or 40 years old that still work perfectly... will that concept of longevity disappear from our society? or perhaps it already has?

would a mask-programmed micromite be a good idea?

cheers,
rob   :-)

zeitfest
Guru

Posted: 08:54am 25 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

One database project I saw, adopted optical storage on LaserDisk which was promoted for its archival properties...sadly the disks rotted after a few years.  At least they knew it happened.

And Iomega zip drive and disks....lets see, NT4 and a parallel printer port... easy to find right  

In the year 2025...if data can survive... etc

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:57am 25 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

We may be ok with flash in the low memory capacity controller chips. The problems start to arise when you want high capacity storage, using multiple bits per cell. That leads to the charge being slowly lost and corruption occurring.
Mick

EDNEDN

Posted: 03:14pm 25 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  
However, it would seem that good-old spinning HDD's are still the best choice for offline/not-powered archive storage.  For a few decades anyway.

HDD's are attractive because you can get a 2 TB drive on eBay for $60.   You can't get that storage density in SD Memory Cards for anything near that price.    Also, for programs that continuously overwrite a portion of their files, magnetic media doesn't suffer from the limited number of Erase / Write cycles that SD Memory Cards have.

I just wish there was a simple shield to provide SATA access to the Pico.

I'll do the firmware work if one of you board makers can see fit to make a simple shield.

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 04:15pm 25 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

SATA is a high speed differential serial interface. You have to put hardware in the way as the Pico doesn't have differential IO.

Easiest way IMHO is to use a RPi Zero as an interface to SATA over USB and send/receive data over a COM port from the Pico. Your "OS" runs on the Zero then, with control from the Pico. Very much like the C64 disk drive did it.
Edited 2024-04-26 02:16 by Mixtel90
Mick

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 08:02pm 25 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

EDNEDN said  I just wish there was a simple shield to provide SATA access to the Pico. I'll do the firmware work if one of you board makers can see fit to make a simple shield.

SATA to USB bridges already exist (https://www.ebay.com/itm/314671031396), and there is a version of the picomite that supports USB devices. you just need to add/enable MSC support. you then also get USB flash drive support 'for free'.

cheers,
rob   :-)

Mixtel90

Guru

Posted: 09:27pm 25 Apr 2024
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MMBasic already supports COM ports though and it would probably be a lot less work (and leave more space for MMBasic and the user) to let a Zero do the heavy work. Remember that host mode on the PicoMite isn't a complete implementation.

Serial is fine on the PicoMite - and fast. You wouldn't be sending megabytes of data.
Edited 2024-04-26 07:28 by Mixtel90
Mick

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024